Monday, October 17, 2011

#hand knitting pattern: winter hat

My favourite toque
Fits most adults

Yarn: worsted weight
Weight (in ounces and grams) of the skein/ball:  3.5 oz/ 100 grams
Length (in yards and meters) of the skein/ball:  230 yards/ 210 metres

Needle size:  1 pair of 4.50 mm (7 US, 7 UK)

Tension:  20 stitches x 8 rows = 4 inches over Stockinette stitch

Stitch pattern

4 x 4 rib stitch (over even number of stitches)
Row 1:  knit 4, purl 4--to end of row
Repeat row for pattern

1 x 1 rib stitch (over even number of stitches)
Row 1:  knit 1, purl 1--to end of row
Repeat row for pattern

Cast on 80 stitches
Work in 4 x 4 rib stitch for 11 inches (27. 5 cm)
This row:  knit two together to end of row (40 stitches remain)
Work in 1 x 1 rib for 1 inch (2 cm)

Cast (bind) off, sew seam and weave in ends
***
Next post:  I will share the story of how I developed this design.

2 comments:

holessence said...

Leanne - That is one of my favorite colors: celadon, celery, -- the name makes no difference. It's simply lovely.

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Yes, it's lovely yarn. I can't remember off the top of my head what yarn producer makes it but I will hunt for that name. I need to sing their praises because not only is the colour lovely but the yarn is ideal for hats. It's actually 100% wool but not that scratchy stuff. And because it is wool it fits nice and snug on my head. I have one ball left and I'm going to make another just like the one in the picture.
Yarn producer name to come soon--I hope.