Thursday, June 2, 2011

Randomly blogging Thursday

What's on my mind today...


Meeting with a literary agent


Take time to consider why you want to work with a literary agent.


This is a new publishing age. It's no longer necessary for an author to develop the traditional relationships with a publisher or literary agent.


Why do I want to?


As I am new to the publishing industry, it would be nice to work with someone who knows their way around.

Once finished, I want to bring Turning (my WIP) to the largest audience possible.


How did I prepare for this meeting?


I asked more experienced authors for advise.

I used a search engine to research the literary agent.

I visited the Preditors and editors site. This site lists agents and gives information regarding their illegitimacy.

I worked on my presentation. This was the most daunting task. I wanted to fairly represent myself in terms of my past success, my current project and my future goals. I have to do all of this in fifteen minutes.

I presented my presentation to my writers' group. An hour later, they suggested I revise and use cue cards.

I revised. I'm proud to report my presentation is now seven minutes long.

I did additional research. Fearful that I'd forgotten something, I read writers' magazines.

I developed questions to ask the literary agent.

Are we a good fit?

I'll let you know what happens.


***

Next post: Please welcome author Maureen Betita

Saturday's post: Barbara Elsborg's new book

1 comment:

holessence said...

Leanne - You've done your due diligence and now you're READY TO ROCK N ROLL!