Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sentences from The Sweater Curse

If you're a knitter, you'll relate to this six from the first chapter of The Sweater Curse
***
I grasped the needles as she had, like a pencil. My aunt worked the needle into the loop effortlessly. Well, it wasn't effortless for me. Finally, out of frustration, I ceased the loop, pulled it forward, and slipped the needle into it. I fought and won my first stitch. Progress was difficult, but I refused to fail, and eventually my determination was rewarded as performing the steps became smoother.
***
Enough about me.
Please visit the other participating authors
www.sixsunday.blogspot.com
http://suspenseful7ss.blogspot.com
***
Next post: Basic knitting tutorial: yarn
***
Work on work in progress
Word count: 35, 812 words
A new sentence added: Being unable to navigate her tongue over my entire name--she'd captured what she could and I became 'Leedi' to my family.

14 comments:

Jessica Subject said...

I know the basics of knitting, but I can't crochet for the life of me. Nice excerpt.

Sarah said...

I'm a crocheter, but I have knitted before. It was a struggle. Nice six!

The Sweater Curse said...

Thanks Jessica and Sarah. I'll be by to take a peek at yours later today.

Susanna Fraser said...

I'm not a knitter, but I definitely recognize the awkwardness of struggling to do something you've watched someone else do effortlessly.

Lauri J Owen said...

Nice way to give us insight into who she is.

The Sweater Curse said...

Thank you, Susanna and Lauri

Roberta Walker said...

Nice description of your character through showing not telling. Yeah. Knitting sounds as hard as it looks :)

Marie Dees said...

I tried knitting once years ago. Figuring out how to start and how to stop was the hardest part.

The Sweater Curse said...

Thank you, Roberta
As my grandma always told me, "It does get easier."

The Sweater Curse said...

LOL, Marie. Yes, many knitaholics would agree with your verdict that figuring out how to stop is difficult.
Seriously, if you are interested in learning, I'm currently giving a basic knitting tutorial every Monday. To join, simply log on. Class starts at 9:00 AM (PST).

JoAnne Kenrick said...

love how you describe the way she battles with knitting.. I know just how she feels :)

Laura Kaye said...

Good description, way to make us feel the difficulty and frustration!

Christa Paige said...

Isn't that like so much in life though? The first steps are always the hardest. Love how I could relate to the effort it takes even though I am not a knitter.

The Sweater Curse said...

Hi JoAnne, Laura and Christa
Thank you for your kind comments.