Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day (a short story)

Happy St. Valentine's Day! Let's celebrate!
*
The Way Of It (written in 2005)
*
Dawn's light sneaks through a wood framed window. The light reveals a humble but practical kitchen--warmed by a wood stove. In the middle of the room stands a small wooden table. On the table rests two coffee mugs and a vase of flowers.
*
Two women sit at the table in sturdy wooden chairs. Liz is in humble dress. Her head bowed over her knitting. Her hands fly masterfully through the stitches. Arabella wears silk and lace her hands bejeweled.
*
"Only say the word and I will rescue you from this...this..." Arabella scornfully examines her surrounds. "This pace."
*
Silence.
*
"Elizabeth, you can't be happy here. We were not born for this."
*
The needles click.
*
"He's so very course...uncultured...curde--an awful man. I can't believe he brings you joy. He labours in the fields...in the fields." Her voice pierces. "His clothes smell of it. You deserve better." Her voice tears down the humble cabin setting it a blaze.
*
Silence.
*
Finally, Liz looks up from her knitting. Her eyes are full of love. They rest gently on Arabella. "Dear sister, I know you want the best for me, but your ways are not our my ways."
*
"What?! Now you enjoy poverty. You're deluded."
*
"Please, listen. I know our way of life must seem strange to you. You know fancy dress balls but not the passion of a kiss shared under the harvest moon."
*
"Like a common labourer. I would not stoop so low."
*
"I'm proud to work side by side with my man in our fields."
*
"What has this man's work brought you? Look at your hands--hands which once danced over ebony and ivory. Look at them. They are gnarled and ugly!"
*
"We work hard. We are building a future. You think he is crude, but you don't know him. The way he makes me feel. I am free. I can breathe. He wakes me early to share in such delights: the birth of a wee lamb, the tuneful singing of the birds, the sweet smell of fresh cut hay, the warm glow of the first light. He gives me gifts of finery--the wild flowers that grace our table. He is faithful, kind, hard working and he loves me. You should find such joy, such love."
*
"If you won't listen to reason. I can't help you." Arabella flees from the table.
*
Liz bows her head. The needles click on.

***
Web Tour
Last Friday I was thrilled to find my picture on the front page of my local newspaper. To see it, please visit: http://islandsindependent.p2ionline.com/flip/sitebase/index.aspx?adgroupid=134175&view=double&FH=735
*
Today, I'm visiting Ursula Grey's blog , please visit me there.
***
Last minute decision, I've decided to take Monday off and keep this post up for Valentine's day. Our knitting tutorial will continue next Monday--February 21st
Next Post: Tuesday, Feb 15th: Special guest author Deena Remiel

No comments: