Monday, January 10, 2011

What are you drinking at my party?

My future husband actually had cookbooks when we moved in together. He also--believe it or not--cooked. I can taste his crepes and stir fry--delicious! Sadly, those days are gone, but we still have the cookbooks.
I was looking through his copy of Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book last night trying decided what beverage to serve and found...
*
'Quantity Fruit Punch
8 cups water
1 16-ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 12-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate
2 46-ounce cans unsweetened pineapple juice
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
Ice cubes
2 28-ounce bottles ginger ale, chilled
2 28-ounce bottles carbonated water, chilled
Fresh strawberries, halved lengthwise (optional)
Oranges, thinly sliced (optional)
Combine water and the frozen concentrates; stir to dissolve. Stir in pineapple juice, sugar, and lime juice; stir to dissolve sugar. Chill. To serve, pour half of the mixture of juices over ice in a large punch bowl. Slowly pour in 2 bottles of the ginger ale and 1 bottle of the carbonated water; stir gently to mix. Garnish with strawberries and orange slices. If desired. Repeat with remaining ingredients when needed. Makes 90 (4-ounce)) servings.'
*
Now, after reading some of the comments, that may be a little too tame for some of you. So, thankfully, I also made...
*
'Champagne Fruit Punch
Prepare Quantity Fruit Punch as above, except substitute four 750-milliliter bottles of champagne...for the ginger ale'
*
(Hiccup) Drink, drink, my friends and I'll be back soon with some tunes.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Is easy ta fix the first recipe. Add a bottle a' Sangria. Or five.

Leanne Dyck said...

Ah, Maureen, you party animal. : )

sandiwhite said...

Hey, Leanne! Congrats on the book! That model is hot enough to melt the 5-6" of snow in my Georgia front yard. Don't know why but when Southern folks get snowed in we reach for the soup kettles and baking pans. I'll bring by the peanut butter cookies when I drop in at the party. I should be knitting myself but am surrounded by books instead.

Leanne Dyck said...

Yeah, not just Southern folks do--Northern folks do as well. It's the whole think warm-heat-fire thing. Peanut butter cookies yummy! My all time favourite. Bring them on. : )